January 28, 2008

Pain

Spock mind-melds with the rock beast. Pain, Pain! he cries.

Pain, Pain! I thought. I moaned inside and tried to use what little mind control I have to go to sleep. Very limited success. Tried everything-- lots and lots of aspirin, no effect. Whiskey mouthwash; relieved pain for 5 minutes and then caused bolting, shooting pain. Got up, went to work and the pain in my jaw got even worse. Could not work. Was able to get a time at the 'Folktandvården' (The People's Tooth Care) the same day and this guy tried everything to figure out 'the root cause'. Finally he applied some icey cold stuff that caused me to kick violently by reflex. Long story short: Root Canal, the dentist's lobotomy.

But the strange thing is how quickly the body forgets. In at work this morning the pain brought tears to my eyes, but then during the train ride home it went away and I started doubting myself. Had I been looking for a way to get away from my job, an easy out, had my mind's eye exaggerated in order to avoid giving a seminar today? Its amazing to see that I have so little empathy for myself, so little solidarity with someone who has only gone home sick twice (counting today) in ten years. Need to train this empathy muscle. AND, I have never been so happy to get a shot of novicaine in my life. Instant relief.

4 Comments:

At January 30, 2008 8:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds scary. I'm afraid of dentists. About 6 months ago, I went to the dentist for the first time in 17 years. Everything was alright. The dental hygienist said I have good saliva.

 
At January 31, 2008 3:38 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Good saliva-- reminds me of a story I read recently. 17 years, that is impressive.

So far I have only had the first step and am taking antibiotics to kill off subgingival fauna. Next week they will bring in the heavy machinery...

 
At January 31, 2008 7:03 PM , Blogger reverend dick said...

That rock monster mother looked like a shuffling blob of convenience store pizza. If that's what they're feeding you over there, it's no wonder dental edifices are crumbling in the E.U....

 
At February 01, 2008 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn. sorry to hear you are in such pain.

I have good saliva too, but after 40 years, it is having trouble keeping up. I've got one cavity now

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]