March 26, 2008

Rebellion II

Thanks to MacGyver5 for this comment:

To remain fresh, a person must create constant personal rebellion against things that have become flat or stale in one's life. Growth can slow or stop if this does not happen. I feel that the rebellion of Jesus against the status quo of his day was not conservative, but radical.

My own situation is that in order to rebel in the house I grew up in I would have had to have become a Reaganite and I didn't have that in me. My four older siblings had said and done everything imaginable by the time I was a teen; my folks had seen all the masks. In fifth grade one of my sisters gave me a button, 'Challenge Authority', that I wore proudly on my winter coat. Is it rebellion if you are expected to rebel?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 27, 2008 5:54 PM , Blogger annie said...

One of my favorite quotes: "All personal breakthroughs begin with a change in beliefs." Anthony Robbins

It's probably not important, but the pin, from my Mac days, said 'Question Authority'.

If you get creative, there are a lot of ways to rebel without become a Reaganite. My mother rebelled by refusing to nap and gossip. I rebel by talking about subjects that others consider taboo. You can do it. And you do.

 
At March 27, 2008 9:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could have rebelled by becoming a metro-sexual. They wouldn't have known what to do with you if you insisted on going to the cities for haircuts and wore members-only jackets or dressed like Prince.

 
At March 29, 2008 8:03 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

EXACTLY, it said Question Authority. Those were heady days-- Prince, Wham! and Boy George. I chose Paul Westerberg.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]