May 18, 2008

Bike rebuild update

Rebuilding this bike gives me 100% relaxation.

Upon inspection, everything looks to be in terrible condition. I am amazed the bike worked. It will be equally amazing if it works when I am finished rebuilding because I haven't done this sort of thing before. I am learning as I go. Your advice is welcome.


Something gnarly happened to the hub. A section of the inner freewheel seems to have cracked off in an apocalyptic event leaving deep craters in the axle spacer. If you look at the picture you'll see that the inner wheel where the pin spanner should mount is cracked. I didn't see any future for this freewheel and decided to simply cut it off. A hacksaw got me nowhere so I got out the angle grinder. If you're using an angle grinder and not having fun then you have stepped off the golden path, my friend.


I could look at old parts like this all day. If I fixed bikes for a living I probably wouldn't feel like this.


The old grease was a mixture of Mississippi mud, grit and goose crap. Cleaned it out. Here are the bearings sitting in new grease, like plums in a Christmas pudding.

2008 distance totals:
Bike: 2180 km
Car: 1979 km

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 2:59 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

I worked in bike shops and saw a few different methods for removing a stuck freewheel. This is the first time I've seen it done with an angle grinder. I applaud your ability to get the job done.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]