August 22, 2005

Chance meeting

In a dream last night I was at a supermarket in a strange place, industrial England maybe, judging by the brick walls outside. I went through the checkout and walked through a hallway to a side room where there was a TV showing a music video. I sat down on a couch in the dark room. David Bowie was there too, and we started talking, and then my Mom came in and sat down. I couldn't believe I was talking to David Bowie but stayed cool. I told my mom how this was the guy who had made all the albums my brother Lowell used to listen to, like Ziggy Stardust. He said that he didn't think much about that period anymore. I told David that my mom is a musician too, and then I asked him about Lou Reed's album Metal Machine Music. David told me that he was studying chemistry, and that if an aliphatic sidegroup on a benzene ring were ever to be oriented so it looked straight down the length of the bond, the universe would come to an end. Later we went outside and watched a boy kicking a soccer ball against a brick wall. I sat in the mud and used my finger to scrape a thick layer of clay from my feet.

I slept through my alarm this morning, but it was worth it to have the chance to meet David Bowie.

5 Comments:

At August 22, 2005 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool dream. kind of like Donnie Darko. What would happen if an aliphatic sidegroup on a benzene ring were ever to be oriented so it looked straight down the length of the bond?

I once had a dream that I was standing outside a convenience store and the Rolling Stones pulled up in a '69 Camero and took me for a ride. They were doing chemistry of an entirely different nature.

 
At August 22, 2005 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,

Lots of people at the reunion Saturday night. Brad gave me your blog. I just had to say HI - glad to hear things are well with you.

Me? Environmental, Health, & Safety here in O. Married, triplets last November (two girls, one boy), farm house west of Hope.

Maybe I should have started with "Do you remember me?"
My best,
Cindy R

 
At August 22, 2005 8:49 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Wow, Cindy Radel! Great to hear from you! I know I missed the reunion and there's nothing I can do about that now...
Congratulations on the TRIPLETS!!! I can't imagine. Three times the fun I guess. We have two sons, Fredrik who is 8 and Anders, soon 2. Take care and please stop by Long Burn whenever you have a moment.

 
At August 22, 2005 11:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian had a beer with Walter Matthau in his dream.

 
At August 23, 2005 8:57 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Andrea, Was it the Odd Couple Walter or the Grumpy Old Man Walter?

Tim, if a side group were so oriented, in layman's terms, according to my back of the envelope calculation, we'd be in trouble.

Cindy if you want to send me a note my email is matthew.johnson@tele2.se

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]