April 18, 2006

Jump and flip

I was riding my bike home from the train station this afternoon and I started thinking about Eldon Potter, and I couldn't help laughing out loud. I remembered a piece of wisdom Eldon had given me years ago, after he returned from a bike riding trip in the desert. Apparently rattle snakes like to sun themselves on the roads, posing a potential hazard for cyclists. You could for instance run over one of them with your front tire, causing the snake to be flipped up into the pedals and your legs. The trick, Eldon's trick that is, is to jump your front tire over the snake. That way, when your back tire hits the snake and it gets flipped up, it is only a hazard to the people behind you.

3 Comments:

At April 20, 2006 2:01 AM , Blogger Kate said...

this post made me think of Richard Shumann for some reason. Do you know where he is? I miss that guy.

I had the pleasure of such a LOL experience the other day when I was getting something out of the garage and came across a box that Tim had packed for our move. It is moving box from Uhaul, simply labeled this way:

Pumkins
? stuff
shit
crap

I'm laughing just typing this!

 
At April 20, 2006 2:16 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Tricky Dick Shumann! I was on his mailing list for awhile. He was living in Mozambique working with an NGO, and he would send the most wonderful letters about his life there. What I think I remember, the last I heard, was that he and his wife moved back to VA a couple of years ago.
I remember the zeal with which he shared his Maryland Crab Chips with Tim and me, freshman year.

 
At April 20, 2006 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He felt it was his duty to "bring crab chips to the inland masses"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]