May 16, 2007

You can't take the American out of the boy

Certainly, one of the best things you can do to test your patriotism is live outside your country-- I've heard it all during my time as an expatriate. I regularly meet people who think that individuals (me!) can or should stand responsible for the collective actions of hundreds of millions of people. But regardless, I try to hold up my end of the plank.

What I don't miss:
Billboards, commercials, newspaper inserts, junk mail, radio ads, hog futures and sportscasters
Nitwits
Thin coffee and junk food
Rips in the fabric of society
Strip malls, gas stations, cars cars cars, car exhaust
50 kinds of cold medicine

What I miss:
Good bookstores (with books in English!)
Open-mindedness to change
Shopping at Target and REI
Live bait
My language, quips & asides, nuances.
Friends and Family

7 Comments:

At May 16, 2007 3:55 PM , Blogger Scorpicon said...

So it's true the nitwits all congregate in America?

 
At May 16, 2007 4:33 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

No, nitwits are found any and everywhere, it's just that I don't miss them.

 
At May 16, 2007 9:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Live bait is over rated. Although, I must confess that I am going to buy a nice lightweight spincasting rig for this Summer after 10 years of exclusively fly fishing.

 
At May 17, 2007 7:19 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Animal rights activists pushed through a law forbidding live bait in Sweden. People still dig their own worms though. (Earthworms aren't native to N. Am. were brought over by English colonists!)
What I miss is concrete tanks full of fish, the smell, the hypnotic effect of a swimming school.
Just got my first fly rod but have yet to catch anything with it.

 
At May 17, 2007 10:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

There’s a Nirvana song that says, “It’s okay to fish because they don’t have any feelings.” I think this also applies to bait. Yes, there is something special about two scoops of crappie minnows. In my world, bait has no rights. Pretty funny that in your world it does.

Good luck fly-fishing. My first time out, I went with an expert and caught a bunch of fish under his tutelage. After that, I took two solo backcountry trips to areas that I had done well with a spincasting rig and got totally skunked. Both times I realized my major mistakes on my way out. Now, I’m actually better at catching fish with a fly rod than with spincasting gear. Remember, no matter what anyone tells you, there are only self-imposed rules in fly-fishing.

 
At May 18, 2007 12:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you need to make a visit to the states and fill up on both categories

 
At May 18, 2007 8:50 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Tim you couldn't be more right. Nitwits and thin coffee here I come!
We are planning a trip next summer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]