July 22, 2007

North Dakota Pirate Pants


We just got back from a family vacation staying with the in-laws in Stockholm. I am still feeling the 8-hour drive. It was the first trip with our new/used car, a 1997 Ford Mondeo, which car gets two thumbs up: The best car I've owned. Nimble, smooth, nice stereo, space for a family on vacation, easy to drive and not a gas guzzler.

If you don't know this I'll tell you: I refuse to own a car newer than 10 years old. My brother sold me my first car for $200, a 1976 Chevy Nova with three-on-the-tree transmission, in 1986. Rust took that chariot home, after memorable trips to the boundary waters, Big Bend and Longmeadow Massachussets. My second car was a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker, also bought from The Original Owner. It had a twin barrel Holly carb, 440 cu. inch V8, and suspension and brakes from a Dodge pick up. Drove that wonderful machine out to Pasadena in 1989 and slid around LA for a few years in grad school. Then we moved to Sweden and the in-laws sold us their 1979 SAAB 99. A wonderful car although pulling the choke to get the turbo charged slant 4 engine started reminded me of Dad's Evinrude outboard. We got rear-ended by a Mercedes once and drove away with a slight bend in the tailpipe. The Merc was smashed up pretty bad, spilled its radiator fluid and oil all over the roadway. Thence onward to a great 1989 SAAB 900. We would still have that car if only it hadn't turned into an oven during the summer. Finally a lemon, a 1991 SAAB 9000, bought from my sister's brother. Too many faults to go into.

The point is, I would like a car with character and I refuse to pay top dollar-- there's better things to do with money. We don't drive that much anyway since I take the train and bike to work.

But what I wanted to write about was something that happened during our vacation with the in-laws. I walked downtown and ended up in the clothing store where I bought some shorts. Here's what the tag said:

Original Outdoor X-Tuxer Heavy Durable Gear

NORTH DAKOTA PIRATE PANTS


Built for a life at the bay: rowing out to the wreck of the Bosporus, digging clams for a bake on the strand or launching your brother's hand built dinghy. Brushed T/C poplin for ultimate comfort and rugged durability. Intelligently detailed and sewn like iron.

SUPERIOR QUALITY CLOTHING SIZE C52

Tuxers utility pants are made from superior quality material and fabrication.

4 Comments:

At July 22, 2007 6:43 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

"North Dakota Pirate Pants"

You should change your blog's name to that one. It almost sounds nasty in an indirect way, like a Dirty Sanchez.

 
At August 03, 2007 10:16 PM , Blogger Smudgemo said...

Pirate pants sound more like something you'd find in a store where you can't see in the windows. I agree about used cars. Let someone else take the biggest chunk of depreciation.

 
At August 07, 2007 7:51 AM , Blogger JanieK said...

yes, when I think North Dakota, I think clam bakes and launching dingys!

 
At August 10, 2007 1:49 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

My sister tells me that men in America wouldn't be caught dead in calf-length pants. They're great in Sweden this summer when daily highs have been in the low 70s.

The add copy is a strange mix of intellect and ignorance. Faux-americana sells well in Europe-- American pop culture crushes everything in its path.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]