April 04, 2008

Letter

Somebody asked what I thought of Kim Stanley Robinson's Forty Signs of Rain. My reply:

The funny story about that book is that I thought it would be cool to get an Emerson quote every day, and so I typed my email address into a website that promised this. What happened next is that that address started to receive enormous quantities of spam, like 100 per day. So much that I was forced to give it up. Somebody thought they would have fun sticking it to the left wingers.

I can tell you that the series doesn't get better than that first book. In the second two he rewrites the scenes and characters from the first and nothing much happens. I had hoped for much more. I didn't learn anything about the climate and it was a long slog. But anyway better than Chrichton's State of Fear.

I am home with the flu today, chills, lethargy, constant urge to cough. Made a great soup for lunch-- diced onion, green beans, diced carrot, chicken bullion, olive oil, ginger sliced thin, crushed garlic, some pepper and cumin. It cleaned out my bronchii & also passages above the windpipe. It was refreshing to not go to work today and find that the world did not end-- students and colleagues can actually manage without me. This thought has helped relieve the congestion in my chest.

Seen this?
81% in Poll Say Nation Is Headed on the Wrong Track

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 04, 2008 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. deja vu.

I actually like the second book better. I skipped huge swaths of the first one. I tune back in in the second when
1) Frank is hanging out in the park. I want to do that!
2) Extreme weather events are described. This is what I started the book for.
3) he gets to pull tracking devices out of the back of beautiful spies
4) Charlie's boy acts like the reincarnation of the Lama.

otherwise, it is boring and not all that well written. I agree on the climate info. Anyone who has read a Newsweek article about warming will not find anything new here.

 
At April 05, 2008 9:05 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

All must sacrifice to serve the blog. This flu is a tough nut and makes me do desperate things.

The books' descriptions made me want to live on a platform in a tree too. Even the van sounded pleasant.

 
At April 05, 2008 11:36 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

81% disapproval

Yes. We're headed to hell and I fear it's too late to change course, because too many of my fellow citizens don't get it. Even though they disapprove of our direction they won't agree on the correct direction. They're still arguing about whether compact fluorescents are a good idea. It will take a catastrophe to wake up enough people to make a difference.

I apologize for being cynical.

 
At April 06, 2008 10:26 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Hang on to that cynicism it will be useful when the CGS hits, along with old tin cans, bandanas and fishing line. It's time to start building that ark.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]