August 24, 2005

Anniversary

Twenty five years ago today my sister Andrea and Brian Johnson got married at the Associated Church in Owatonna. My father performed the ceremony and I guess he also gave away the bride, who took her husbands name. Congratulations to the happy couple! I remember it was a wonderful sunny day. There was a vollyball game on the front lawn of the church after the rehearsal; the groom's side won.

It took me a few years to realize what a great guy my sister had brought into the family. I have Brian to thank for my acoustic guitar and for the chessboard Fredrik and I played on just last night after dinner. He made it himself and the wood has hypnotizing wavy patterns. We have a couple of Brian's paintings in our living room and I used to have a rather large oil painting of his, of Karpov and Kasparov, at Macalester. One time when I was in Jr. High Brian made some amazing drawings of knights and dragons and hobbits. Art is timeless!

What else can I tell you about these happy people? They have two wonderful kids, a house and a dog and a cat. While the kids' names (Amy and Brett) are just fine, they are not nearly as interesting as some of the cats': Pumpkin sugarface and Alabaster. Brian and Andrea lived in St. Paul for a few years when they were newlyweds while my sister went to Macalester. When I visited (I was ca. 14) they would take me to their favorite places along the Mississippi bluffs, and to Nationalbaums to buy food.

4 Comments:

At August 24, 2005 8:55 PM , Blogger Kate said...

What is "Nationalbaums"?

 
At August 25, 2005 9:13 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

There is a supermarket straight west of campus (NE corner of Grand and Fairview?) that used to be National Market or National Store, and then it became Applebaums, so my sister liked to call it Nationalbaums.

 
At August 30, 2005 8:37 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Larry Tate! I had to google that one. Darrin's boss on Bewitched.

Did you know that Karin and I had our 15th anniversary this year?

 
At September 01, 2005 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I do remember that when mom and dad had their 50th, you had your 10th and we had our 20th, so at some level I'm aware of it, but I don't recall the exact date. Sometime in mid-March, maybe? I apologize! Let me know and I'll put it on my Palm so it pops up every year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]