November 20, 2006

Dreams

I went to dinner a couple of weeks ago with some Danes and some Germans. Someone said how the Danish dream was to sit with your friends and be comfortable (they have a special word for this, 'hygge', it is an art form in Denmark.) I said sometimes it seems like the American dream has been buried under consumer goods from Wal Mart. Someone said that the Swedish dream was a perfect midsummer celebration, dancing around the maypole, eating strawberries, flowers in your hair. I asked one of the Germans what the German dream was. 'There is no German dream,' he said, 'that's the problem.'

3 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 6:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hygge sounds good to me. How much will one hour cost?

 
At November 23, 2006 8:58 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Oh it'll set you back about one bottle of Gammel Dansk ('Old Danish') and a couple good stories. Stories involving farms and farm byproducts are always a hit.

 
At November 28, 2006 1:20 AM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

After spending the past weekend with relatives, I think the American hygge is to watch football until you watch it in your dreams. This is what I found necessary to spend time with my dad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]