April 05, 2008

Back to the land

I keep daydreaming about how I would build the farm if I was a pioneer like my great grandad Peter Johanson. I'd be way ahead of my time:

-I'd put a well in the basement. The water from the well would be 38 degrees, year-round. A windmill would pump this water over a galvanized steel box we'd use as a refrigerator.
-We'd be the only farm in the county with an indoor flush toilet, septic tank and drainage field.
-We'd need good insulation just about a row of straw-bales wide. The siding could be lifted off the house to replace the straw every few years.
-I'd plant windbreaks (OK, Peter did this too) around the farmyard and barn, and around the garden plot. Open to the south to admit sunlight. The windbreaks would be multilevel-- high cottonwoods, medium ash, low level cedars. Also an orchard with apple, pear, plum and cherry trees.
-Sheep would keep the lawn cut and we'd have fresh eggs from the chickens.
-I would make heavy duty leather boots with felt linings and turn them into frontier Sorels by dipping them in molten beeswax.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 05, 2008 11:31 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

Those are great ideas. I really like the well that cools the refrigerator and the straw bail insulation.

 
At April 07, 2008 7:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

38 degrees? Are you sure? That's colder than the bottom of the ocean.

Also, it's going to take a week or so to put together your package. Anything you want from Trader Joes?

 
At April 07, 2008 9:58 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Actually yes! Karin said she'd like some chocolate from TJs. Me, I'd eat just about anything.

I made up that part about 38 degrees but even so I think it would work pretty well. I'd have a water tank in the attic.

 
At April 09, 2008 12:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dark or milk?

 
At April 09, 2008 9:46 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Not white, not too bitter, milk is good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]