July 25, 2008

Cellar Door

I took a day off and we went to my wife's Aunt's house on the East Coast of Skåne. She's older, lives alone and needs help with some things. For example the door covering the cellar entrance was growing mushrooms and leaking. My wife used to walk up and down this door when she was little but now someone doing so would fall through. My wife and the kids hit the beach and I took measures for the new door. The old door was easy to remove due to rot but it was heavy with tar paper sandwiched between two layers of wood, on a wooden frame. I decided to make something lighter but still strong enough to walk on.


Here's the result, modeled by our boy, back from the beach.



2 Comments:

At July 28, 2008 3:11 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

The door looks really nice. I have always wanted a cellar door. It would make storing things for the winter very easy.

Did you sandwich something in between the planks?

 
At July 29, 2008 9:53 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

There is a frame of pressure-treated 2x2's in the center, and siding-grade plywood on both faces. You can see the frame in the first of the pictures.

Sweden trivia-- instead of skipping stones, kids here 'throw a sandwich'.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]