August 24, 2008

Recycling

Here's part of a newspaper article from last week:

After having spent several summers in Sweden together with his Swedish wife and two sons, Will Ferrell knows what his favorite thing is to do in Sweden. 'It's going to sound crazy, but my favorite thing is going to the recycling station. Swedes have the best recycling I've ever seen. Like, 'Old shoes, please place them here.' I love to fill the car and empty it at the recycling station.'

Will I am with you 100% and in fact just today I filled the car and emptied it at a Swedish recycling station. Here is my photo-essay:


The main goal was to get rid of this ratty old couch. It was tossed into the 'burnable waste' container. It will go to the incinerator and be turned into electricity.


The recycling center takes folks yard waste and composts it, turning it into topsoil that they sell:


All of the 'white goods' are arranged carefully in the corner-- fridges mostly, and some water heaters


They accept all kinds of hazardous waste. The labels on these bins say 'cleaning agents', 'acids', 'bases', 'insecticides', 'mercury thermometers' and so on.

They also have a place for home mechanics to put used motor oil. This is great. It reminds me of a college housemate who changed the oil in his station wagon and dumped it in the middle of my vegetable garden in the backyard.


This friendly gent is there to help you find the right resting place for your junk. He told me that last week he got his picture taken by a busload of Chinese tourists.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At September 04, 2008 12:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about the oil in the garden. We were young & stoopid.

On a previous topic. I too had a reaction to wrinkle-free shirts. I wear shirts & ties daily. My neck was getting red & irritated. After years of searching I found a wrinkle-free shirt that doesn't bother my skin. I won't plug the brand on your blog, but let me know if you're interested & I'll let you know where I shop for men's fashion.

 
At September 04, 2008 7:43 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

The oil-- water under the bridge. Oil on the water. And on the corn and watermelons.

Please go right ahead and plug that shirt-- I'd like to know. Also, have you ever heard of/tried smart wool?

 
At September 05, 2008 4:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to know a good wrinkle free shirt.

 
At September 05, 2008 4:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, I was going to say, isn't Will Ferrell a comedian?

 
At September 05, 2008 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the shirt: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2936710/0~2376777~2374609~2374623~2378122?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2378122&P=1

Ecru is the new white.

 
At September 07, 2008 8:51 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Yes, Will Ferrell the comedian.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]