May 25, 2005

Song

For someone who I love very much. Happy birthday!

Song for a fifth child

Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth!
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking!

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat a cake, darling, and peek, peek a boo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard ther's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
but children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, babies don't keep.

2 Comments:

At May 25, 2005 8:50 PM , Blogger Kate said...

whoever this is for, I respect her immensely.

These are just the words I needed to read today.

 
At May 27, 2005 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I thought of you when I read this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]