January 18, 2007

Hospital Bill

So here's how socialized medicine in Sweden works.

I went to the emergency room with my finger and ended up having surgery and staying overnight. Had to pay $43 up front at the desk with my credit card in order to be able to see anyone. Filling the prescription for antibiotics the next day cost $30. Yesterday we got the bill from the hospital in the mail: $11.40, which my wife offered to pay. It was for the room. And that's it-- plus I left the hospital with my pockets full of bandages, pain pills and some antibiotics that they gave me for free.

I remember a few years back in LA when some friends had their baby via caesarian-- the bill was $11,000, which their insurance paid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]