February 23, 2007

Saturated fat

Anonymous asks, Can Dr. Ralf Sundberg give some examples of peer-reviewed scientific work that recommends a diet high in saturated fat?

Well, Dr. Ralf can and does. His letter (translated below) gives more than a few references to scientific studies and it would not be hard to dig them out given a few hours in a research library. (Specifically, work of Bengt Vessby, studies of margarine-eaters and milk-drinkers, commentary on work by Keys, ten studies on cholesterol, studies of diabetics, dissertation in Gothenberg).

There are reasons to be sceptical of the received wisdom that saturated fat is necessarily bad. Here for example is some information about saturated fat. It is important to distinguish between natural saturated fat found in dairy products like cream and cheese (and breast milk), and trans fats which are mainly made on an industrial scale by the catalytic hydrogenation of plant oil. Trans fats are neither required or beneficial for health, and their consumption is linked to an increased risk of coronary heart disease.

Another good source of information is The South Beach Diet written by cardiologist Arthur Agatston. And an article in The New York Times, 'What if it's all been a big fat lie'.

Shall I write a disclaimer? I am not a doctor, but I do eat food on a regular basis and sometimes I try to inform myself about what is good to eat. I have noticed a considerable improvement in my metabolism since switching to the 'South Beach Diet' (fat and oil are good sources of energy giving a Long Burn, avoid fast carbohydrates)-- by this I mean my digestive system now runs like clockwork, I have lost weight, I have more energy and I can go for long periods without thinking about food.

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, I don't know anything about saturated fat, so this is off topic, but I wanted to say Hi.

I'm Erik_N from the Selby House days at Mac in St. Paul. I just reconnected with Eldon and Dave last night in Portland. Dave showed me pics from his Euro trip a few years back.

Anyway, Dave told me about your blog, so I wanted to check it out and say hi to you. -Erik

 
At February 23, 2007 7:37 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Hey hey Ric! Great to hear from you. No matter where I go or what I do I have so many great memories of those days in Selby House -- music, and music, and beer, and the neighborhood characters like that old lady who saved your scooter, and the rat in the basement that ate my bar of soap. Hows the spine?

 
At February 23, 2007 7:38 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

I'm in a rut with global warming and the cave man diet. Please forgive. Its the scandinavian winters you see.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]