February 23, 2007

Violin



I bought a violin kit through the internet and have started working on it now and then. I have no illusions that I will be able to produce a masterpiece or anything close-- I'll be happy if I can use it to play Twinkle Twinkle or maybe a crude Sailor's Hornpipe. For now I am just learning the process and if it's not perfect, well, let the chips fall where they may. The first step is to put in the purfling along the edge. I have had to make some new tools including a micro-chisel (made by grinding a small file) and a cabinet scraper. Scrapers are great to work with-- they produce a much smoother surface much more quickly than sandpaper. Here are some instructions I found that I used to turn a small putty spatula into a handy cabinet scraper.

2 Comments:

At February 25, 2007 7:54 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

Very impressive. You're setting a good example for the rest of us -- keep trying new things -- be creative, etc. I recently met a guy who repairs violins.

Just thinking about it makes me want to try new things ... like baking for example.

 
At February 25, 2007 8:27 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Thanks, thanks. I can recommend it. Trying new things keeps me from thinking about the old things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]