September 29, 2007

Time and space

When I was a sophmore undergraduate a Nobel Prize winning physicist (Murray Gell-Mann, who named the quark based on Joyce's Finnigan's Wake) gave a talk at our little school on Grand Avenue. I asked him what time was. The look on his face was priceless, kind of why aren't I back in my office doing useful work?

A different physicist said, Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once, and space is so that it doesn't happen to me. The sitrep is that I am suffering from a lack of time and space. Teaching two classes, one for the first time, supervising students, young kids at home, problems with the train, editing a journal, writing a book, planning for a trip.

What can I do to help you ask? I need new music to load into my mp3 player for the trip. Please send ideas!

5 Comments:

At October 01, 2007 5:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dood, I have a couple of sweet new podcasts that I really enjoy. They are mostly young and fresh club and fitness music great for actually working to - upbeat and not really distracting but easy to nod your head to while typing or doing something else (like running!). I hope these aren't too new-wave or clubby for you.

"Radio 538: Tiesto's Club Life Podcast" and "Podrunner". Both high energy!

I dig 'em. Cheers from Singapore (-:

 
At October 01, 2007 1:44 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Hey dB, thanks, sounds like just the thing. Have you heard any of the Hotel Costas CDs? I am guessing they are in the same direction.

 
At October 01, 2007 1:46 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

That should be Costes, not Costas, makers of renouned hand-made candies.

 
At October 02, 2007 8:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work with someone who just graduated from college. I get all my new music from her.

Send me your address and I will burn you a cd or two.

Charlie
chaz_ffl@yahoo.com

 
At October 03, 2007 7:58 PM , Blogger bjartur said...

For Matt:
Music from your homestate (and even your hometown): Kid Dakota, The Hopefuls, Cloud Cult, Low, Atmosphere, the Heiruspecs, the Bad Plus

From elsewhere: Cat Power, Mugison, Richard Buckner, Kathleen Edwards, the Black Keys, Bonnie Prince Billy, the Deadstring Brothers

For "anonymous" db: send me an email so I have your email address again; people were asking about you at the big reunion and I had no news for them
--squill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]