February 16, 2008

Scouts/Taxi Driver

I stayed late at work yesterday to finish an application and ended up taking a taxi to get home in time to take my son and a friend to a scout meeting. A Friday Night Disco meeting. In my day the scouts never would have touched disco, but that was a long time ago in a place far, far away. Scouts here are coed. They had popcorn and punch and flashing lights and my son's friend is ready to sign up. They do 'real' scout stuff too like three weeks ago they were outside building fires in a snowstorm. My son was the only one who could get a fire started and everyone else came over to light sticks to bring back to their own piles. He told me the key was to use a knife to make thin shavings on one side of the stick.

So I always talk to the taxi drivers. The driver last night was from Iran and the first thing you need to know is that Iranians are Persians, NOT Arabs, who he said are Barbarians. He told me he liked Israel when he was a kid growing up in Iran because it was a thorn in the side of the Arabs. He supports Hillary Clinton. He liked the US because of its commitment to justice and human rights, and he was worried about Russia which is building ties to Iran.

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2008 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for Frederick!

I like the little glimpse into the life of this one taxi driver out of so many millions

 
At February 17, 2008 3:59 AM , Blogger Paul A Isaacson said...

Scouts? I thought it was the Boy Scouts of America and that they were mostly Mormon. That's why they refuse to accept homosexuality... because they are so reliant on Mormon money. Sounds a lot better in Sweden.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]