April 18, 2008

Vienna

I went to Vienna earlier this week to give a talk at a conference. The meeting was like a scientific High School reunion-- there's a certain set of old friends who I just meet at meetings every few years. There's a nice feeling to entering a building filled with 10,000 scientists, all carrying laptops, all obeying the scientist's dress code, all talking science. Vienna is a nice town but I didn't have that much time to look around. Here is the street outside my hotel, including a classic Viennese cafe with dark wood interior and smoky booths. Seeing roadsigns pointing to Budapest and Graz gives me a thrill.

Everyone at the meeting got a free pass for public transportation which was good because it took three subway lines to get from the hotel to the conference center. My stop was 'Burggasse-Stadthalle'.





While in Vienna one must eat a Wiener schnitzel the size of an elephant ear.

5 Comments:

At April 18, 2008 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

no bikes there, huh? No wonder its not "Vienna Bicycle Chic"

 
At April 18, 2008 5:01 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

There were a few bikes and bike paths along the major streets, but nothing like Cph. And all the cyclists were men.

 
At April 18, 2008 5:46 PM , Blogger reverend dick said...

Jaysus, that's a big meat flap!

What is the dress code of scientists? Are the hats large?

 
At April 19, 2008 3:49 AM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

What the heck is a wiener schnitzel? I know I could find out from wiki, but I'm lazy now. I just got my work stuff working right and I'm sick of thinking.

Vienna, huh? I'm going to an exotic place too -- South Bend, IN. It's known as the Vienna of the Midwest, you know. I heard the wiener schnitzel is made of real wieners in South Bend.

 
At April 19, 2008 8:03 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

A weiner schnitzel is a thin slice of veal covered in bread crumbs and fried. Chicken Fried Steak is the U.S. descendant. One should squeeze lemon on top. 'Weiner' means it comes from Vienna (like Hamburger, Frankfurter, etc.), and 'schnitzel' means a cut. Back in the day we used to make all kinds of schnitzels, like sunfish schnitzel, crappie schnitzel, bass and northern schnitzel, but we called it 'good eats'.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]