October 11, 2008

Tokyo

The blog muse kicked my butt for using that old line about not feeling inspired to blog anymore. If you're a blogger you post, resistance is futile.

I just returned from a trip to Tokyo. It was great. I love Japan, the food, the gardens, the people, even sometimes the music which is either bebop or classical music's greatest hits. Japan is a blend of 1950s Americana, Godzillan sprawl and post-modern metropol. I packed in a rush and arrived without my camera but with cell phone that didn't work on the network but I could still take pictures.

Here's the view of Tokyo bay from the hotel window at 5 AM. I'd been up since 2 with jet lag.


I played hookey from the conference for a half day and went looking for gifts and souveniers. Ran into this sign on the Zojoji temple grounds:


Outside the temple were these Jizo statues which are dedicated to lost babies. Beautiful and spooky.


I happened across a pet store for stag beetles. Enthusiasts arrange tournaments between the beetles.


There was a technology museum on the ground floor of the building where we had our meeting. The museum had a globe hanging from the ceiling that was like 30 feet in diameter and covered in TV screens. They showed films of the earth on these screens, for example how hot it is going to get by the end of the century or satellite pictures of cloud cover. This was a film of the ozone hole.


The subway was always crowded, even at 11.30 on a Tuesday night. In Japan I am extra-tall.


There was a small earthquake mid-week but I didn't feel it because I was riding a bumpy monorail. The final night we stayed at a traditional guest house with tatami mats that smelled like alfalfa pellets, thin futons and a pillow filled with dried beans. I know that may not sound so great but it was actually a lot of fun; also there was a bath and hot tub in the basement.

4 Comments:

At October 13, 2008 4:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

FYI -- I enjoy your blog and have learned from it. I wish I had more time to read it.

 
At October 13, 2008 5:54 PM , Blogger Fresca said...

Whew. That "end" was scary.
But you're right: blogger is the Borg. We shall add your uniqueness to our own...

 
At October 16, 2008 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the fastest blog revivication I've ever seen. I'm glad for all your posts. Your blog is in my RSS reader and so I see it immediately when you post, though I don't always come to the site to read them, as I can read them in my RSS reader.

 
At October 17, 2008 6:39 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Thanks! You guys rock.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]