March 10, 2007

Jimmy Stewart from Mars

Pop quiz: what do I have in common with David Lynch? (Besides that we are both Eagle Scouts and served as ushers at JFK's inauguration.) The answer is that we both gave talks at High Schools in Copenhagen yesterday. David Lynch was there to open the David Lynch program in cinematography and got reviews in all the newspapers. They wrote that he attributes his success to transcendental meditation and that he has meditated twice a day, every day, since the early 70s. Also they wrote that his hands were constantly in motion, that they had a life, energy and animation of their own.

I did not attract any reporters or photojournalists, and I didn't notice that my hands had a life of their own. I talked about global warming and atmospheric chemistry to about 45 students at a school in northern Copenhagen as part of the University's 'Loan a Researcher' program. It was a lot of fun to simply be in a High School again and feel the ambience, and they even let me use the bathroom in the teachers' lounge. The students had a lot of good questions. The biology teacher asked me what the students could do about global warming and I said they could eat less meat (producing meat takes a lot of fossil fuel energy and its inefficient compared to making vegetables and farm animals emit methane, a powerful greenhouse gas), and that they should talk to people. Later the teacher told me that the school is going to have a conservation week and whatever money they can save on utilities and food during that week will be put into the class fund.

5 Comments:

At March 11, 2007 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

take heart in the fact that in 100 years, people will still be interested in global warming, but probably not David Lynch so much.

I like the call to eat less meat.

 
At March 12, 2007 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking lately that our consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables all winter has got to change. I wonder what the spread is, both in terms of nutrition and energy costs on canning local fruit and vegetables and eating those all winter vs importing lettuce from California and grapes from chile?

 
At March 15, 2007 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You served as ushers at JFK's inauguration??????

 
At March 23, 2007 2:48 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Sure, January 20, 1961. Didn't you know that?

 
At March 27, 2007 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope - never came up. I suppose I was just too young to remember it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]