March 21, 2007

Natural Science-- boring or exciting?


Not so long ago the Danish word 'hygge' appeared in Long Burn. It is a relative of our English word 'hug', and means something like comfort, coziness or a good atmosphere. It is what Danes dream of, the highest good. And so it was an honor to see this article about me appear in a Danish newspaper-- the photo caption says 'The glad and 'hyggelige' professor shows a new instrument in the laboratory.' Apparently I have arrived-- I am hygge.

The article continues:
I have decided to find out why it isn't trendy to study natural science. The mission starts with the American Professor Johnson at the University of Copenhagen. Why isn't it a megatrend for young people to study natural science? Is it really that much more fun to study the humanities and analyze texts written by men in the 1800s..? Are there only men with grey hair (and morning hair) in the world of science? In general, is it just gapingly boring in that universe? My mission starts at the ?rsted Institute at the University of Copenhagen. I almost can't wait to have my prejudices confirmed. This place must be full to bursting with dry people wearing brown corderoy pants and hospital charity association eyeglasses. Instead I find Professor M. S. J, a very friendly and accomodating man, who remarkably, most of all resembles an uncle. A completely normal person...
(So they think...)

7 Comments:

At March 21, 2007 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is awesome.

 
At March 22, 2007 3:08 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

Darn. Now I know what you look like. I had an image of you and you don't look like you.

 
At March 22, 2007 4:09 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

How do I look?

 
At March 23, 2007 1:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You look great, Matt. You don't have as much hair as you used to... but you know that. I have more hair than I used to... counting body hair.

 
At March 23, 2007 10:09 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Thanks Papa T. I have both more and less hair. This morning I discovered miniature beards growing on my earlobes. My question to rigtenzin was not well-posed-- I meant, how did I look before the photo popped your bubble?

 
At March 23, 2007 2:55 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

This was the funniest image I could find

I hope I inserted the link correctly.

 
At March 27, 2007 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry really, you're not losing hair, it's just slipping off your head. Gravity, I suppose.
Fun article, by the way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]