November 28, 2006

Working at home



My wife is away at a conference. I am working at home & taking care of the kids (transportation, food, entertainment, basic hygeine, etc. etc.). This picture is my workspace on the dining room table. I am trying to finish writing a chapter of a book (a different book, about air pollution, I'm just contributing one chapter). It doesn't happen so often that I am home alone and I couldn't resist using the opportunity to work on some home improvement projects-- painting, light carpentry. These projects have all been on my mind for about three years so its nice to get them done. But I still have the feeling that I am playing hooky by working on my home during a work day. I keep imagining that a film crew is going to come by and document my fraudulent use of company time. I will tell them: Where were you all the weekends and all the evenings when I was working for you on family time, writing a lecture, correcting papers, answering emails, analysing data, eh? Where were ya!?
And, here's a picture of the working man's lunch: a base of three pieces of dense rye bread, diced. Three pieces of fried ham. A two-egg omelette (don't forget a tablespoon of milk for every egg) with cheese, one fried onion, two diced tomatos, washed down with coffee. And, looks like those bananas are ready to eat.

I sat in front of the tube to eat my lunch, what a luxury, haven't done that in years. The choice was between Star Trek Next Generation and Orange County Choppers. Picard was piqued because the new astrophysicist was hogging all the processer time with her model of star formation. Paul Teutul Sr. was getting bent out of shape because they were behind schedule. (Isn't this the plot of every episode??) . 'If this project was moving any slower it would be going backwards!' The Teutul family won-- the bike had barbed wire spokes and an ace of spades pattern on the seat. I just love watching stuff get put together.

8 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 1:22 AM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

That's a nice looking pile of food. How many people did it feed?

I used to watch the chopper show. The dad is fun, but I'm glad I don't work for him. I should watch again.

 
At November 29, 2006 9:30 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Thaddeus Bacon-- you see what happened is that I joined the South Beach Diet sect. It has given me a new liver-related superpower-- the ability to go for long periods without eating. But then when I do eat, it needs to be substantial. So this meal was just for me, it's true, but then you could also think that the food went into painting the trim and doorframes in two rooms and cutting and nailing some stuff and chasing the kids around for a few hours, vacuuming and making dinner and fixing some torn wallpaper. The kicker: I choose food that gives a 'long burn'-- oil, protein, green vegetables, dense bread, etc. etc.

 
At November 29, 2006 9:35 AM , Blogger Matt_J said...

If you could compare your father to any pop culture icon who would it be-- Paul Teutul Sr.?

 
At November 29, 2006 3:53 PM , Blogger GrimTim said...

I Love the red and white coffee mug you have. You have given me three excellent coffee mugs. One holds two pints of coffee. I was drinking tea out of it when I had a cold earlier this month.

 
At November 29, 2006 4:29 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

That's my favorite mug right now-- airport gift shop, Geneva Switzerland. Number two mug has a shark cameo carved through the glazing-- LA natural history museum. I remember the IKEA tiger and Wikipedia, but what is the third mug?

 
At December 01, 2006 1:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The third one is a gigantic white one that holds 3 pints, maybe 4

 
At December 01, 2006 1:17 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Sure, now I remember it. Haven't thought about that big white mug in years. What is the back story again?

 
At December 01, 2006 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

not aware of any backstory. As a gag, at the beginning of a toastmasters speech, I gravely announced that, "My Doctor told me I had to limit myself to one cup of coffee a day. So I got a new cup" and then I pulled out that mug.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]