March 27, 2007

2006 Hurricane season cancelled by African dust


In the spirit of Professor Tyndall

Why were there so many hurricaines in 2005, and then virtually none in 2006? According to predictions including sea surface temperatures, it shoudl have been a killer. A recent article in Science reports that an enormous dust cloud from West Africa blew across the Atlantic in June 2006, the beginning of the hurricane season. After about two weeks sea surface temperatures began to cool, relative to temperatures in 2005. The cooling lead to a shift in weather patters that was less favorable for hurricane formation.

It is interesting that 3-Speed thought I looked like Professor Tyndall, a prominent Irish professor in the 19th century. He was the first to show that gases like carbon dioxide and water vapor absorb infrared radiation (1860s), and linked this behavior to the ice ages.

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 3:32 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

About the photo:

I searched Google for a photo of a professor. When I saw Tindall's photo, I laughed so hard I spit on my keyboard. Each time I clicked the link, I laughed.

I thought others would laugh too, but inlines are allowed from Gutenberg. I should have known. Sorry.

 
At March 27, 2007 10:26 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

Love the beard. One of my brothers is sporting an amish fisherman but it's not for me.

Why don't you email me the picture and I will post it-- msj_qwerty@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]