April 06, 2007

Long Friday

Spring is here, is definitely here. Cherry trees and daffodils are blooming. We're all off from school and/or work, and had planned a few excursions before we got hit by a round of stomach flu and running noses. Running kids and running noses.

I saved an old bike the neighbors were going to throw out. The plan is to fix it up to have a spare commuting bike. It's a classic Swedish 'REX' three speed coaster brake except there are two gears on the back wheel, giving an option between speed and power. I'll post pictures.

Here's some photos I've had sitting around on my hard disk. On the left is John Tyndall the Irish natural philosopher. In the middle is me testing a new beard in front of the shower curtain. On the right is Isaac Newton's death mask. Back in Ike's day they would make a plaster cast of the departed's face. I like to show that picture to my students when we go through Newton's laws-- the hook for me is his resemblance to Death in Bergman's Seventh Seal.

3 Comments:

At April 06, 2007 2:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No spring here. It is bitterly cold and expected to stay that way well into next week.

I'm confused about the choice between speed and power.

 
At April 08, 2007 4:50 PM , Blogger rigtenzin said...

With a little Photoshopping (is there an official spelling for that yet?), you could look much like Prof. Tyndall.

Don't forget the photos of the bike. It sounds really cool.

 
At April 08, 2007 10:07 PM , Blogger Matt_J said...

R: You are kind. I'm afraid time is warping me into Newton.

T: Large gear on back good for powering through muck; small gear on back good for speeding past parked cars going downhill hoping nobody opens their door.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Web Counter
Web Site Counter

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]